In chapter six of Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell shifts the story into another direction; while the first half focused on practical intelligence and how being in the right place at the right time affected one's success, part two opens up with a chapter detailing a family feud, and a plethora of more. But what Gladwell noticed and further elaborates on is that this feud, between the Turners and the Howards, was the apparent beginning of a pattern. Through studies conducted, scientists realized that the cause of the pattern of feuds and violence all along the Appalachians in the nineteenth century was attributed to a "culture of honor"; their's being that due to the fact that many in the area were herdsmen, they had to be ready to fight in response to even the slightest challenge to their reputation. The chapter further details how this culture of honor still holds true to the descendants of the area despite where they live and what they do; that a cultural legacy persists generation after generation.
A cultural legacy is the idea that where you come from, more so where your ancestors lived and how they grew up, matters and that it effects how you are as a person.
I'm not quite sure what my cultural legacy would be; I don't know much about my ancestors, aside from the fact that basically all my family lives/d in Puerto Rico, so I can't say much because I don't know my whole lineage.
'Lo there Tiffany!
ReplyDeleteI really like the way you defined cultural legacy! It makes more sense than before when you think about it affecting you as a person. I think it really makes sense how it affect character traits and personality rather than superficial matters. Yeah! And Puerto Rico is cool! From Grace!
Since a cultural legacy is the idea of growing up where your grandparents did as well as living how they lived. I wouldn't know if you ever lived in Puerto Rico. Whether you have or haven't, would say you could relate your attitude to your ancestors from Puerto Rico or family you currently have in Puerto Rico?
ReplyDelete@Hank: Thank you for reposting that~! But, I've never actually lived in Puerto Rico, only visited; but I think that my cultural legacy would be being hard working and always being there for my family and trying my best to give them the best.
ReplyDelete@Grace: Thank you(: